Energy Management System Implementation
As a company with energy consumption reaching more than 6000 TOE in one year is obliged to manage its energy and comply with regulations and requirements in PP 70/2009 and ESDM Regulation 14/2012. After all the efforts made, the company needs an energy management system according to international standards to ensure that the efforts made can be continuously carried out and improved as well as ensuring an energy-saving culture in the company.
ISO 50001 Energy Management System Standard was firstly introduced in 2011. This standard help industries to develop their EnMS system to get energy saving in a systematic and sustainable way. In August 2018, the ISO secretariat launch new ISO 50001:2018 to accommodate the High-Level Structure that been adopted by other International Standard.
The new ISO 50001 standard required stronger top management commitment and involvement in the EnMS implementation. The 10 clauses structure of new ISO 50001 required the consideration of organizational context and risk in the planning phase of EnMS.
Believing that energy saving will significantly contribute to company financial performance, over 100 industries in Indonesia has been adopted ISO 50001, some leaders in the sector such as Indofood in the food and beverages and Adaro in the mining sector has experienced the benefit of EnMS ISO 50001 adoption. NIKE has put EnMS adoption as one of their supplier key evaluation criteria, another company such as Adaro has plan to make it mandatory for their supply chain and affiliated companies to implement EnMS based on ISO 50001.
In 2019, 32 organizations (with facilities in 19 countries or economies) received global recognition. Four organizations receive the top honor, the Award of Excellence in Energy Management, at the tenth Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM10) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:
• 3M Company (Global),
• Areej Vegetable Oils & Derivatives (Oman),
• JK Tyre & Industries, Ltd. (India), and
• PT Pupuk Kalimantan Timur (Indonesia).
PT Pupuk Kalimantan Timur (2 sites in Indonesia)
PT Pupuk Kalimantan Timur in Indonesia has certified two plants to ISO 50001. As the largest fertilizer company in Southeast Asia, the company supplies more than six million tons of product to domestic and foreign markets. The EnMS system led the state-owned company to upgrade operations and equipment at the two plants to save more than 866,000 GJ and USD 3.9 million in energy costs. An internal award for energy-saving innovations has led to two patents.
- Great Giant Pineapple – Pre Assessment ISO 50001, 2nd winner on Penghargaan Energi Efisiensi Nasional (PEEN) 2016
- Cheil Jedang Indonesia – Internal Audit & Corrective Action EnMS ISO 50001, 1st winner on Penghargaan Energi Efisiensi Nasional (PEEN) 2017
- Pupuk Kalimantan Timur – EnMS ISO 50001 and Pump System Optimization Implementation, 1st Champion on Clean Energy Ministerial 2019
- Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur, Tbk Noodle Division Surabaya – EnMS ISO 50001 Consultation & Implementation, 1st Champion on Clean Energy Ministerial 2020
- Pertamina Hulu Energi (PHE) – EnMS ISO 50001 2 days Pre-Assessment
- Adaro Indonesia – Internal Audit ISO 50001
- Indofood Sukses Makmur Tbk, Bogasari Surabaya Division – EnMS ISO 50001 & Internal Audit
- Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur, Tbk Noodle Division Bandung (4 Company) – EnMS ISO 50001 Consultation & Implementation
- Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur, Tbk Noodle Division Semarang (4 Compay) – EnMS ISO 50001 Consultation & Implementation
- Indofood Sukses Makmur, Tbk Bogasari Div – EnMS ISO 50001 Consultation & Implementation, 2018
Sekjen Kementrian Energi dan Sumber Daya Mineral (KESDM) – EnMS ISO 50001:2018 Consultation & Implementation
Indorama Polychemical Indonesia, Purwakarta – EnMS ISO 50001:2018 Consultation & Implementation
Semen Gresik Plant Rembang – EnMS ISO 50001:2018 Consultation & Implementation
Medco Energy – Energy Management Guideline Study
Pupuk Kalimantan Timur – Internal Audit & Corrective Action EnMS ISO 50001:2018
Indofood Sukses Makmur Tbk, Bogasari Surabaya Division – Internal Audit & Corrective Action EnMS ISO 50001:2018
Indofood Sukses Makmur, Tbk Bogasari Division – EnMS ISO 50001:2018 Transition
Holding companies of the two biggest airports in Indonesia and a key oil refinery will obtain the global standard ISO 50001 for energy management, under a collaborative support between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR).
The two airports are the terminal three of the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport near capital city Jakarta with its holding company PT Angkasa Pura II, and the I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport in the holiday island of Bali with its holding company PT Angkasa Pura I. The refinery unit is unit IV in Cilacap, Central Java, belonging to PT Pertamina.